Wednesday, October 05, 2005

NaNo What?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

WRITING.

It's a scary process. Daunting. Overwhelming. No matter how many times I've done it, it always scares me still.

Jumping into the unknown is always that way. But I choose to do it yet again.

The unknown I am talking about here is the NaNoWriMos. NaNoWriMo is an intensive thirty-day writing program that's all the rage with the writer-wannabes on the worldwideweb. Yup, who doesn't want to be a novelist nowadays, right? The basic premise of the acitivity is that to successfully write and actually complete a novel, one need not have a plot. In fact, one should not have a plot (in the beginning anyway) but instead one only needs to have a deadline in this case, thirty days.

Which is why I think the Nanos have been very successful for the past seven years. It's a crazy idea. But it works. People join in and try to pound out 50,000 words - which is approximately a 175-page novel - in one month. Yes, folks. Fifty Thousand. That's roughly twelve thousand five hundred a week or two to three thousand a day assuming you take one off day a week and which again, assuming my maths are on track. Which I doubt. But I digress. (teehee, I've always wanted to say that. Makes me feel like a novelist already. And so I'll say it again, I digress.

The most I tried writing on a regular basis for a whole month was 100words. A measely one hundred words a day and there were days when I thought I couldn't complete. It's not so much the number of words as it is the what words/ideas/stories to write about.

Which is why I am almost giddy with excitement. Plus the fact that I am not doing it alone...I have my amazing support group at PlanetSarkdoing it with me! And you know how you can always make that work to your advantage - or not. I may very well use that as yet another procrastination tool and end up lounging on the boards which is always way too much fun!

Again, it's a choice. And I choose and declare "Yes, I'm doing it! I am a Wrimo!"

Hello, Aurora! Looking forward to knowing you.

[Book Title: See, Aurora, See! by iKat on NaNoWrimo 2005]

No comments: