Tuesday, January 10, 2006

No Ordinary Egg

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Egg a la Bella

7:45 p.m.

Oona: Momeeeeeeeee! I wanted to peel that myself.

Me: I don't want you to make a mess. It's hot, too.

Oona: But, Mom...(pouting)...I wanna do eeeeeeet...(bouncing agitated on the chair)

Me: Okay. Okay. I'll let you peel mine, later. Stop bouncing already. I don't want you to fall off.

Oona (3 seconds later) Can I do it now?

Me: Later, honey.

Oona (5 seconds later) Can I do it now?

Me: Later.

Oona (10 seconds later) Now? Mommy, I'm boooooored.

Me: Okay. Okay. Here. (As usual, she wins the tug-o-war as I have no more patience for any arguments at this time of the night.)

Oona: (humming while peeling the egg which I am sure will be smashed into 378 pieces in the process.)

Oona: (2 minutes later) Here, Mommy.

Me: (Slightly stunned and pleasantly surprised. It is a perfect egg. Not a single nick, scratch or tear on it. I am a proud mama.) Oh, my darling girl...it's perfect! Good job, Bella! (I examine the egg more closely. How'd she do that?!)

Oona - You're welcome. (jumping off the chair with her "No-big-deal" attitude...back to humming)

I will never underestimate my child again. In anything. EVER.
It's worth risking having smashed boiled eggs, anytime.

Mantra: I am a patient mom. I am a patient mom. I am a patient mom.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Oona Bella, 3, clowning around. (Yes, those are my pajama pants!)









********
peace
love
joy
~iKat
********

No comments: