Sunday, January 08, 2006

Recykle...Recicle...RECYCLE!












Sun Fruits
Original photo


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sun Fruits
"Recycled" enhanced photo (c/o Adobe Photoshop)
Canon 300D




9:34 a.m.

*ring....ring...."

"Hello, Front Desk."

"Hello, good morning! It's Kat from Unit **5. (confident and bright and sunny.)
I was wondering if we currently have provisions for proper garbage disposal for . . . um, for . . . ah . . . you know, garbage that's . . . um...non-perishable . . . garbage for . . . um . . .

"Recycle?"

"Yes! *big sigh* That, too. (confident and bright and sunny disposition wavering slightly)

At this point, the kind and very patient concierge gives me a detailed explanation as to where and when and how to go about disposing my garbage for "RECYCLE". I vaguely remember hearing a Recycle Room and needing to wait for the city to give the right labels. But I am largely off to la-la-land...wondering...embarassingly - how in the world I'd forget the word "RECYCLE". Me, the wordy one. Me, the book-lover one. Me, the voracious reader one. Me, the forgetful one.


*Flashback to one year ago.*
Conscientious Me: "We have to do our part, honey. No more excuses since we know more about how important recycling is now. We simply need to do our part."

Hubby Jack: "Oh, don't worry about it, babylove. (Yup. That's his pet name for me. *blush* It is a ploy, of course.
Deep inside, my darling hubby is doing his eye rolls at wifey thinking to himself "I wonder which guest on the Oprah Show talked about this one today.) Our one-a-day bag won't hurt the environment. What do you think these manufacturers are doing with their gazillion tons of garbage?!"

Me:"But, honeeeeeey, we just got to. I don't care about those big shot manufacturers. They can burn in karma hell. I, on the other hand, don't want to. I will do my part for Mother Earth! End of discussion."

And I finally get to do it today. And I forget what the heck it's called.

Maybe, I need to recycle some of my brain cells with a cup of coffee.

Yes, I use recycled coffee paper. I mean, filters. Which is actually made of paper. Of the recycled kind.

*sigh*


More coffee, please.


Next Day Recycle Story Update:
Since that call, we have found posters around the building giving instructions to the residents about how to manage the recyclables for recycling in the recycle bins which are, of course, in the Recycle Room. Just making sure my highly unrecyclable brain cells can remember this time.

I am able to do my part for dear Mother Earth after all. I think she is smiling her glorious blue sapphire-green jade smile at me underneath my feet.


"SOME TIME IN THE DISTANT FUTURE, AN ARCHAEOLOGIST LOOKING BACK AT LATE 20TH CENTURY CANADA WILL MARVEL AT WHAT A WASTEFUL SOCIETY WE WERE. DIGGING AROUND IN OUR LANDFILL SITES, SHE WILL CORRECTLY ESTIMATE THAT IN THE 1990S, EACH CANADIAN THREW AWAY ABOUT ONE TONNE OF WASTE MATERIALS EVERY YEAR!


THINK BACK THROUGH YOUR DAY: THE EMPTY TOOTHPASTE TUBE, THE CEREAL BOX, THE POP CAN IN YOU LUNCH, YOUR GUM WRAPPER, THE FOOD YOU LEFT ON YOUR PLATE AT DINNER. NATURAL RESOURCES SUCH AS WATER, WOOD AND FOSSIL FUELS GO INTO THE PRODUCTION AND TRANSPORTATION OF ALL THESE THINGS. WHEN WE THROW THEM AWAY, WE ARE THROWING AWAY OUR VALUABLE RESOURCES. NO WONDER THE ARCHAEOLOGIST OF THE FUTURE FINDS US WASTEFUL!"



From Environment Canada


Go to an Informative AND Fun on recycling.



********
peace
love
joy
~iKat
********

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

too funny!

The Ten O' Clock Habit said...

Salamat!