Monday, February 20, 2006

Fast Forward

It is 10:00 a.m. sharp. It's been exactly 12 hours and 1 minute since my last meal. I am dizzy. I am cranky. I am starving, famished and my tummy just chimed in with a rumble that soundes more like a high-pitched "twerkpk!". I'm sure that's my stomach's way of saying "Enough already, twerp. Feed me!"

Blood tests for a physical later. You know how that goes so I will not bore you with that story. Instead let me tell you about food. Yeah. Let's suffer a little bit more intensely, shall we?

I remember the foods of my childhood as a kid growing up in Davao City. White rice with milk and sprinkled with sugar; Well-done fried Spam in brown sugar all syrupy sweet, Toast with margarine and sugar (that's a lot of sugar and a lot of visits to the dentist!) hotdogs, the tiny, cocktail ones, spanish sardines with fried eggs and my favorite, champorado which is a sticky rice porridge with cocoa. Sometimes, my mom would add tuyo which is dried, salted, stinky fish on top. Yummmmmy! I find myself craving for these childhood favorites once in a while. When the weather gets too cold, when I am depressed, when I miss my family, when I'm fasting for a blood test. Waaaah...I want my Mommmmmy!

It's getting harder and harder to think but I must decide now. Let's see - five to six more hours to wait before I can take anything. My appointment not until after 3 p.m. I have a physical exam before the blood work which means I have to go through that uber-fun experience with hunger breath and the risk of acid reflux. Not a pretty idea.

I decide to do the blood work some other day. Yes.

Instead of suffering, I choose to stuff my face with these:



Tuna Melt a la Marjorie a.k.a. BFG
(Thanks for reminding me about this one, ga!)

1 small can tuna (drain)
1 tomato (take out soggy seeds)
1 small red onion
1 bagel sliced in half
Kraft singles

Chop onions and tomatoes. Add tuna. Salt and pepper to taste. Tabasco if you're feeling fine and randy. Spread on bagel halves. Top with cheese square and pop in the oven until cheese is melted and bubbly.


Enjoy!

I think I just heard my tummy say "GrrrgkllkrThanksqrk!"




********
peace
love
joy
~iKat
********

No comments: